|Rule No.||Rule Title|
|Rule Text||(a) The official veterinarian shall maintain a Veterinarian's List of those horses determined to be unfit to compete in a race due to veterinary treatment, physical distress, injury, lameness, unsoundness or infirmity.
(1) When a horse is placed on the Veterinarian's List, the trainer of such horse shall be notified within 72 hours.
(b) A horse placed on the Veterinarian's List as injured, unsound or lame may not workout for 72 hours after being placed on the list without the permission of the official veterinarian.
(1) The official veterinarian may require any horse placed on the Veterinarian's List to undergo a veterinary examination prior to resuming training at any facility under the jurisdiction of the Board.
(c) A horse placed on the Veterinarian's List shall be removed from the list only after having established or demonstrated to the satisfaction of the official veterinarian or the racing veterinarian that the horse is then raceably sound and in fit physical condition to exert its best effort in a race.
(d) A horse may be required to perform satisfactorily in a workout or qualifying race to demonstrate its physical fitness, and if so a blood and/or urine post-work test sample shall be taken from the horse and the provisions of this article shall apply to such official workout in the same manner as to a scheduled race.
(e) For the purpose of this regulation, “workout” means an exercise session near full speed, or close to full speed.
NOTE: Authority cited: Sections 19440 and 19562, Business and Professions Code. Reference:
Sections 19440 and 19562, Business and Professions Code.
1. New rule filed 2-9-84; effective 2-9-84.
2. Amendment filed 12-16-85; effective 1-15-86.
3. Amendment filed 1-29-10; effective 2-28-10.