|Rule No.||Rule Title|
|1783||Registration of Stable Names.|
|Rule Text||(a) A licensed owner may register a stable name with the Board by filing an application and paying the fee for such stable name.
(1) A stable name is subject to the approval of the Board.
(2) No person may register more than one stable name at the same time.
(3) No person may use the real name of any owner of racehorses as his stable name.
(4) No stable name registration may be used for advertising purposes.
(5) A stable name that has already been registered may not be registered by another owner.
(b) A licensed owner may register a stable name group with the Board by filing an application and paying the fee for the stable name group. The stable name group shall be subject to Subparagraphs (a)(1) through (a)(5) above. The stable name group may establish multiple entities that shall run under the name of the registered stable name group.
(1) Each entity shall be registered, as applicable, in accordance with Rule 1481; Rule 1506; Rule 1507 and Rule 1784 of this division.
(2) The entity shall name the horse(s) it owns, and such horse(s) shall be owned separately from the other entities within the stable name group.
(3) Each entity shall possess a unique roster of owners. The roster shall name each owner and state if the owner is a general or a limited partner as well as the percentage of ownership of each. The roster shall be filed with the racing office and with the Board's occupational licensing office.
(4) A licensed owner may participate in the horse ownership of one or more entities that run under a stable name group.
(A) A partner whose ownership interest in an entity that runs under a stable name group is 10 percent or less of such entity may elect not to obtain a license as horse owner. For the purposes of this regulation, such partner shall be considered a limited partner. However, the partner may elect at any time to obtain a license as horse owner, and for the purposes of this regulation, shall then be considered a general partner.
(5) A partner who owns 10 percent or less of an entity that runs under a stable name group is not subject to the provisions of Rule 1606 of this division when a horse owned by the entity in which the partner participates is entered to race in the same race in which the partner has ownership interest in another horse that is entered to race.
(c) The granting of a stable name or stable name group registration by the Board shall not relieve any person from his obligation to file or register a fictitious name as provided by the laws of the State of California.
NOTE: Authority cited: Sections 19440 and 19460, Business and Professions Code. Reference: Sections 19460 and 19520, Business and Professions Code.
1. Amendment filed 7-10-08; effective 8-9-08.