|Rule No.||Rule Title|
|1689.1||Safety Vest Required.|
|Rule Text||(a) No jockey or apprentice jockey shall ride in a race unless wearing a safety vest, nor shall a jockey, apprentice jockey, or exercise rider, train or exercise any horse on the grounds of a racing association, racing fair, or authorized training facility unless wearing a safety vest.
(b) No driver shall be mounted in or riding on a sulky, nor shall an assistant starter handle any horse on the grounds of a racing association, racing fair, or authorized training facility unless wearing a safety vest.
(c) Safety vests required to be worn in accordance with this regulation shall:
(1) Provide a minimum of shock absorbing protection to the upper body, as evidenced by a label indicating that the safety vest meets one of the following standards:
(A) “Level 1” under the British Equestrian Trade Association (BETA) 2009 Standard for Horse Riders' Body and Shoulder Protectors, or
(B) American Society for Testing Materials (ASTM) standard F2681-08, or
(C) Shoe and Allied Trades Research Association (SATRA) (1999) Jockey Vest Standard, Document M6 Issue 3, Australian Racing Board (ARB) 3.
(2) Cover the entire torso from the collarbone to a line level with the hip bone allowing a vee opening in the front neckline;
(3) Weigh no more than 2 pounds.
(4) No vest shall be altered from its original manufactured design. This includes, but is not limited to:
(A) Cutting the vest to customize fit.
(B) Removal of manufacturer's labels.
(C) Removal of protective padding.
(d) The weight of a safety vest shall not be included in the weight of a jockey or apprentice jockey when weighing out or weighing in or when adding weight to make up a weight assignment.
NOTE: Authority cited: Sections 19420, 19481 and 19562, Business and Professions Code. Reference: Section 19481, Business and Professions Code.
1. New rule filed 10-26-93; effective 1-1-94.
2. Amendment filed 12-23-96; effective 1-22-97.
3. Amendment filed 2-15-01; effective 2-15-01.
4. Amendment filed 6-9-10; effective 7-9-10.