|Rule No.||Rule Title|
|1689||Safety Helmets Required.|
|Rule Text||(a) A racing association, fair, or authorized training facility may not permit any person to be mounted on a horse on the racetrack, be mounted in or riding on a sulky or jog cart, or work as a member of the gate crew unless the person is wearing a properly fastened safety helmet.
(1) For purposes of this regulation, a member of the gate crew means any person licensed as an assistant starter or any person who handles a horse at the starting gate.
(2) For purposes of this regulation, “racetrack” means the surface of the racing or training track.
(3) For the purposes of this regulation, “jog cart” means a dual wheeled vehicle with dual shafts that is larger and heavier than a racing unit, and is used for exercising or training standardbred horses.
(b) Safety helmets required under subsection (a) of this rule shall comply with one of the following product standards:
(1) American Society for Testing Materials (ASTM) standard F-1163-04a, or
(2) European Standard (EN) 1384:1996, or
(3) Australian and New Zealand Racing Boards (AS/NZS) standard 3838:2006, or
(4) Snell Memorial Foundation (Snell) Standard for Protective Headgear H2000.
NOTE: Authority cited: Sections 19420 and 19440, Business and Professions Code. Reference: Sections 19481 and 19460, Business and Professions Code.
1. Amendment filed 7-26-94; effective 8-25-94.
2. Amendment filed 12-23-96; effective 1-22-97.
3. Amendment filed 8-16-10; effective 9-15-10.
4. Amendment filed 2-21-18; effective 4-1-18.