|Rule No.||Rule Title|
|Rule Text||(a) No bridle shall weigh more than two (2) pounds.
(b) Whips allowed for use in flat racing shall be unaltered from the original manufacturer; shall have shaft and flap (popper); shall weigh no more than 8 ounces and shall not be more than 30 inches in length.
(1) The minimum diameter of the shaft shall be 0.5 inches, with a smooth, padded contact area that has no protrusions or raised surface.
(c) The only allowed attachment to the shaft is the flap (popper), which shall not extend more than 1 inch beyond the end of the shaft.
(1) The flap (popper) shall have a width of not less than 1 inch, or more than 1.5 inches; shall have a minimum length of 7 inches; and a minimum circumference of 3 inches measured around the width. The flap (popper) shall have no reinforcements or additions beyond the end of the shaft, and no binding within 7 inches of the end of the shaft.
(2) The flap (popper) shall be folded over and sewn down each side. It shall have an inner layer consisting of memory foam, closed cell foam, or a similar shock-absorbing material, and an outer layer that is dark in color and made of a material that does not harden over time.
(d) All whips are subject to inspection and approval by the stewards.
NOTE: Authority cited: Sections 19420 and 19440, Business and Professions Code. Reference: Sections 19441.2 and 19481, Business and Professions Code.
1. Amendment filed 4-15-93; effective 5-17-93.
2. Amendment filed 1-9-96; effective 2-8-96.
3. Amendment filed 3-29-10; effective 4-28-10.