|Rule No.||Rule Title|
|1632||Jockeys Riding Fee.|
|Rule Text||(a) Winning jockey riding fees in the absence of a contract or special agreement are 10%
of the Win Purse.
(1) The purpose of subsection (a) is not to set a minimum or maximum fee. It provides a fee if the parties have not made a written agreement to the contrary.
(2) All fees pursuant to subsection (a) are payable in the lower purse range until the next higher purse range is reached, unless there is a written agreement to the contrary.
(b) Jockey riding fees for losing mounts are:
GROSS PURSE: $100,000 and up: . . .
Losing Mount: $185.61
GROSS PURSE: $50,000-99,999: . . . .
Losing Mount: $151.24
GROSS PURSE: $25,000-49,999: . . . .
Losing Mount: $130.61
GROSS PURSE: $15,000-24,999: . . . .
Losing Mount: $116.85
GROSS PURSE: $10,000-14,999: . . . .
Losing Mount: $109.98
Less than $10,000: . . . . .
2nd Mount: $118.12
3rd Mount: $101.06
Losing Mount: $103.12
(1) The purpose of subsection (b) is to set a minimum, but not a maximum riding fee. No non-winning jockey shall be paid less than the riding fee set forth in subsection (b).
(2) All fees pursuant to subsection (b) are payable in the lower purse range until the next higher purse range is reached unless there is a written agreement to the contrary. However, no such written agreement shall reduce the minimum required by subsection (b).
(3) To determine the horse owner's place purse or show purse when calculating non-winning jockey riding fees, the Paymaster of Purses shall use the purse agreement provided in the Horsemen's Agreement for the race meeting at which the jockeys earned such fees. The losing mount fee shall be paid as provided under subsection (b) of this rule.
(4) For horse races with gross purses between $10,000 and $100,000 and up, a minimum of five percent of the horse owner's place purse or show purse plus $10.00 shall be used when calculating the second place and third place non-winning jockey riding fees.
(5) If the losing mount fee is equal to or greater than the third place mount fee, the Paymaster of Purses shall adjust the mount fees so that the third place mount shall earn $2 more than the losing mount, and the second place mount shall earn $2 more than the third place mount.
(c) A jockey's fee is considered earned when the jockey is weighed out by the clerk of scales. The fee shall not be considered earned if the jockey elects to take himself off of his mount. If there is a substitution of jockeys, no additional jockey fee or double jockey fee need be paid except when ordered by the stewards.
(d) In this rule "Win Purse" means the amount paid the winning horse less the fees paid exclusively by the owner to enter the horse in the race;
(1) Entry, nomination or other fees paid shall not be deducted from a jockey riding fee if such fees are paid or reimbursed by any person or entity other than the owner.
(e) If the parties agree on the fee to be paid the jockey, a contract or agreement in writing signed by the jockey or his agent and the owner or his authorized agent specifying the agreed upon fee if a winning mount, second place mount, third place mount and losing mount shall be delivered to the paymaster of purses before the running of the race in question. The paymaster of purses shall debit the owner's purse account under the contract or written agreement. If no contract or written agreement is submitted before the running of the race in question, the paymaster of purses shall debit the owner's purse account under the fee scale set forth in this rule.
(f) A jockey may not share in the fees of another jockey.
NOTE: Authority: Sections 19440, 19501 and 19562, Business and Professions Code. Reference: Sections 19401 (a), 19401(d), 19420, 19440, 19501, and 19502, Business and Professions Code.
1. Amendment filed 8-15-74; effective 9-14-74.
2. Amendment filed 10-6-78; effective 11-5-78.
3. Amendment filed 6-8-79; effective 7-8-79.
4. Amendment filed 11-25-86; effective 11-25-86.
5. Amendment filed 12-6-99; effective 12-6-99.
6. Amendment filed 2-28-01; effective 2-28-01.
7. Amendment filed 1-10-08; effective 1-10-08.
8. Amendment filed 3-29-10; effective 3-29-10.
9. Amendment filed 11-28-11; effective 11-28-11.
10. Amendment filed 5-12-14; effective 5-12-14.
11. Amendment filed 7-23-15; effective 10-1-15.
12. Amendment filed 12-10-15; effective 1-1-16.
13. Amendment filed 5-31-17; effective 5-31-17.
14. Amendment filed 10-5-17; effective 1-1-18.